Friday, June 26, 2009

Should Everyone Attend College?

Thomas Sowell, one of my favorite writers and columnists, published his column for the week, "Another 'Good Thing'." I resonate with his comments throughout his column. Consider the following and then read the whole column.

As someone who spent years teaching at colleges and universities for students who ranked in the country's top 10 percent, I nevertheless encountered many students whose interest in intellectual matters was less than overwhelming, to put it charitably.

Many were bright enough but often gave the impression that they would rather be somewhere else, doing something else. Some of their teachers also thought that they should be somewhere else, doing something else.
My first main introduction to Thomas Sowell came by reading his book Inside American Education (1992). I commend it to you. It was reprinted in 2003 by Free Press.

No comments: